Sunday, July 24, 2011

Extra Eggs

Eggs and egg substitute products like Egg Beaters (c) or Kirkland Real Egg (Egg Product) are excellent protein sources and they all store really well.  Real eggs can be scrambled and frozen in ice cube trays for instance and then stored in plastic containers in the freezer for months. For my diet I stick to Egg Beaters, which I also freeze and thaw as I need them.

Right before I went on leave in June I saw Egg Beaters in the marked down shelf at my store; they were approaching the Sell-by Date.  So I bought two packages for less than half price.  Each package has three containers and each container is the equivalent of two eggs.  You've seen the egg, ham, and cheese on whole wheat bagel breakfast sandwiches I like in an earlier post. (Egg Bagel)  So I was thinking, how can I make it even easier to prepare my breakfast in the morning?  This is what I came up with:

I cut a canned fruit can in half to make a form.  I sprayed a non-stick frying pan and the inside of the form with cooking spray and set the form in the pan to heat up.  Once everything was up to cooking temp I poured about a 1/4 inch of Egg Beater into the form. Since it was already hot the eggs immediately thickened and sealed the bottom of the form.  I can't stand an over-cooked egg (there can be no browning) so I moved the pan on and off the heat until the egg in the form was pretty solid.  Then I lifted the form off the eggs and flipped the egg patty to cook the other side.  In 2-3 minutes I had a fully cooked egg patty that is just the right size and shape to go on my bagel breakfast sandwich. I let them cool down and then stacked them with wax paper between each one in a plastic storage container, which then went in the freezer.  When I want a quick breakfast I just take one egg patty out of the freezer and warm it up in the microwave while I toast the bagel.  Plop on a slice of cheese and some ham and in five minutes I have a great breakfast.  It can't get much easier than that.

This is a good way to take advantage of sales or to use up eggs or egg substitute product that is getting near its best used by date.  Either way you save money and time.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. DD (dear daughter) has a container of vanilla powder that she does not care for. I will add it to baked goods. Do you know the shelf life after the container is opened? Can I freeze it? I do not want it to go to waste. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am guessing that you are talking about vanilla protein powder although you commented on my posting about eggs? protein powder will last forever as long as it is kept cool and dry. Putting it in the fridge or freezer would probably be ideal to maintain it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! Yeah, I am in the wrong post. :o)

    ReplyDelete