Thursday, May 30, 2024

Garden 2024 - Spring


   As readers might recall, I bought the components and set up an emergency power system using solar panels and battery storage. And since I had all that power just sitting around waiting for an emergency, I set up a simple grow light system. That grow light system allowed me to get seeds germinated and sprouts growing at least a month before I ever had done before due to the normal cold, wet springs in Pennsylvania. Now, as we roll into June (tomorrow), I already have a well-established garden growing strong.


  This smaller raised bed has about thirty lettuce plants and twenty onions doing really well in it. As the days heat up, the lettuce will be affected but until then I am eating salad every day and it is really good.



  In this longer bed, I have fifteen green bean plants two peppers, and four sweet potato plants growing. I intend to get a couple more pepper plants and will fill in the gaps with root vegetables.



  In the other long bed, I have two tomato plants and three cucumbers. I will do a second planting of green beans in the far side of this bed later in the summer to be my fall crop of beans.



  I planted two more sweet potatoes in this low raised bed and staked in a trellis for them to grow up to save ground space.



  I have about twenty potatoes growing in this bed. I will add wood chips and other organic matter to the bed as the plants' foliage grows. This bed was fallow last year, and I piled on six inches of mulched grass and leaves to it in the fall and covered with plastic, so it is raring to go. 


  I still have lots of open spaces that I want to fill. I just need to look through my seeds and see what I want to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment